The Westport Public Schools provide education to kindergarten through twelfth grade students in five elementary schools, two middle schools and one high school. Stepping Stones Preschool, which serves both special education and typical students, is a district-run alternative to the many private nursery schools serving Westport.
Permanent residency (physical presence with an intention to remain) in the Town of Westport is the primary requirement for enrollment in the Westport Public Schools. Living with a Westport resident - even a close relative - for the purpose of attending Westport schools is forbidden under Connecticut law and Westport Board of Education policy. Also in accordance with Connecticut school law, being a land owner, tax payer, or business owner in the Town of Westport does not confer residency privileges for school purposes.
Registration for residents new to Westport is conducted throughout the year.
To begin the process please consult the School Finder to determine which school serves your address, and for directions to the school. Then fill out the appropriate new student registration form. You may save your information and return to the form if needed.
- Registering for the 2022-2023 school year? Please fill out this form.
Once the form has been submitted online please bring all required residency documentation (see below) AND a signed Release of Student Records form (K-8) or High School Student Records Form to the school that serves your address.
- Incoming Staples students and families must also complete the series of forms included in the New Student Registration Packet and Information Guide and submit to the guidance office.
- Incoming Bedford and Coleytown Middle Schools students must also bring in a completed New Student Course Selection form.
When registering their child, families must be prepared to prove residency by providing the following documentation:
- A rental lease or proof of home ownership (deed, mortgage statement, current Property Tax Bill).
- Secondary proofs in the form of: Two current utility bills (land line telephone, water, electric, gas, oil, or cable television - not cellphone).
- A photo ID (CT driver's license or State ID card) showing current Westport address.
- New residents must provide secondary proofs within one month of enrolling their child.
Also required at the time of registration are a birth certificate; proof of immunization; pertinent medical records (in the case of children with special needs); and a cumulative transcript.
Many times families would like their children to attend school in Westport prior to the closing on their new Westport property. This is allowed under certain circumstances, and with certain stipulations:
- Future residents may provide a contract of purchase with closing date, a construction contract with anticipated move-in date, or a dated rental agreement. This contract or agreement must be signed and dated by both parties.
- Future residents must apply for admission through the Superintendent of Schools office.
Occasionally circumstances arise which require a living arrangement different from those outlined above. In such cases, as with all changes in residence, your child's school office must be notified immediately. Legal documentation must then be completed through the Superintendent of Schools office in order for the student to remain in school.
With the start of the 2000-2001 school year, the Westport Public Schools stopped accepting new non-resident tuition students, except for the children of Board of Education employees, and special education students placed by their school districts through the Special Education department.
Arrangements for foreign students must be made through the Office of the Superintendent of Schools.